Cost Comparisons Between Alternative Options and Aging In Your Home
Compare your home’s costs against what a Senior Congregate, Assisted Living or Continuing Care Retirement Community offers in convenience and services by putting the cost of each of the following items in the column for “Aging in Your Home” or the column for the alternative living choice – i.e. “Assisted Living”. Then total each column and compare costs. Assisted or group retirement living may not be much more expensive than staying where you are. Or, perhaps you will find it’s more expensive.
After you have a handle on cost differences, look at social, stress and medical advantages or disadvantages. Only then are you ready to visit places that are alternative possibilities.
- Mortgage and Association Fees
- Maintenance of outside, gardening
- Fire, theft and liability Insurance
- Electricity and gas
- Water, sewer and trash pickup
- Telephone and cable
- Car ownership (ownership, maintenance, repairs, insurance)
- Linen service
- Comraderie with privacy
- Supplemental Medicare Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance